It is extremely important that all home owners are aware of the potential problems that result from the incorrect use of septic tank systems.
Gowrie Village has had problems with its septic tanks and failures with its soak-aways, mainly due to foreign matter being disposed of via these systems. In order to avoid the same problems at Gowrie Farm, please ensure that your septic tank has been built correctly.Please place signs in your bathrooms etc, warning people that you are on a septic tank system. Place a filter at your outlet if you are discharging water into the communal system.
- Excessive dumping of cooking oils and grease can fill up the upper portion of the septic tank and cause the inlet drains to block. Oils and grease are often difficult to degrade and can cause odour problems and difficulties with the periodic emptying.
- Flushing non-biodegradable hygiene products such as sanitary towels and cotton buds will rapidly fill or clog a septic tank and these materials should not be disposed of in this way.
- Certain chemicals may damage the working of a septic tank, especially pesticides, herbicides, materials with high concentrations of bleach or caustic soda or any other inorganic materials such as paints, solvents, etc.
- Roots from trees and shrubbery growing above the tank or drain field may clog and or rupture them.
- Playgrounds and storage buildings may cause damage to a tank and the drainage field. In addition, covering the drainage field with impervious surfaces such as a driveway or parking area will seriously affect its efficiency and possibly damage the tank and absorption system.
- Excessive water entering the system will overload it and cause it to fail. Checking for plumbing leaks and practicing water conservation will help the system’s operation.
If the system is damaged or malfunctions, improper repair can prove costly and create potential health hazards.
GOWRIE FARM : SEPTIC TANKS/SEWERAGE & LIGHTS/SOLAR
In order to avoid the same problems at Gowrie Farm:
- We enclose a copy of a diagram for septic tanks, which has been designed by the engineer. Please ensure that your septic tank has been built correctly.
- Please place signs in your bathrooms etc, warning people that you are on a septic tank system.
- Place a filter at your outlet if you are discharging water into the communal system.
- All exterior lighting and solar heating installations must be approved by GFARC, prior to installation.
“GOWRIE BUILDING COMMITTEE”